Saturday, April 19, 2008

Love Story

I'm sure we all know that infernal cliche: "Love never means having to say you're sorry." Well, I've only one word to say to that. Rubbish!

Sure, it worked for Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal in the 1970 film Love Story, but does it work for us today, in the here and now, in the real world?

If love means never having to say you're sorry, then one can do whatever one wants--whether hurting the one they love or not--without consequence. And that, in my opinion, is not love at all, but rather greed and self absorption.

Do you want to know what love really is? Love is saying you're sorry for the things you've done wrong. Love is caring for the other while putting yourself on the back burner. Sure, there will be fights and times when you don't particularly feel fondly of your significant other, but that's no excuse to forget your love. Make things right. Own up to what you've done. Say you're sorry. And learn from it.

That's the main thing, you know-- learning from your mistakes. And if you can learn from those mistakes, then you're one better than a lot of people.

Just remember that it's not about you anymore, just as it's not about me. We are a collective. We are one.

Love is sacrifice. Love is hard. Love is saying you're sorry.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Beautiful. And well said.

I am sorry, for the times that I don't put you first; for the times when I let petty things like what time dinner will be ready get in the way of the fact that you were making a fabulous dinner for us! But, I've learned, and I hope you notice, that I am able to get over myself more quickly. Sure, there will still be occasion when I'm harboring anger or hurt, and it takes me a little while to get over it, but on the little things, I've learned to let go and reach out!

Anyway. I'm blessed to be a part of this collective we have here, you and I. I adore you, baby. You're my world!

<3